Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fictive Ethnicities in Online Games & Virtual Worlds

I found this podcast because, well, I'm a huge geek and I spend my free time reading articles on video game theory. I found it particularly relevant in relation to mimicry and Bhaba's 'sly civility' especially when Pearce discusses the so-called 'Uru Refugees' modding other game worlds to resemble their 'homeland'. In a post-structuralist milieu - where identity becomes dissociated from race, culture, and nation of origin - I think it's interesting to consider the ways in which a people find commonality and community in the most unlikely of relations (in this case: defunct video games). I'll post an abstract and notes, if ya'll are interested.

-Jim

2 Comments:

Blogger Mariquita said...

I'd read the Cliffs Notes if you felt like posting them

9:31 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I didn't listen to the podcast yet, Jim, but this sounds really fascinating. I'd probably be keen on checking out the abstract/synopsis, too. One always worries about using the term "diaspora" too loosely, and thus robbing it (and its "practitioners") of historical specificity, but this makes me wonder what kind of critical work might be out there that looks at diasporic sensibilities (and can I say "experiences"?) in cyberspace.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home