Thursday, March 26, 2009

Itineraries

Wow, all kinds of new material for you today (and do check out that Rushdie video/speech down below that Nathan posted; you'll find it very compelling). Anyway, I wanted to ask, how are you all nourishing your global souls this Spring Break? Is anyone making tracks, finding in motion what you can't find in Missoula's space next week? As for myself, I'm taking my mid-semester, increasingly weary, and possibly half-sick self to Palm Springs (via one of those cheap flights to Las Vegas and then a desert drive) for some (hopefully) restorative high-desert air and the aroma therapy of blooming citrus trees. Such an excursion suggests its own soundtrack, right? I'm thinking I probably need to bring (not that we'll be driving around in a convertible, but still) U2's "The Joshua Tree" (desert sky, dream beneath a desert sky, the rivers run but soon run dry, we need new dreams tonight), Frank Sinatra's "Sinatra at the Sands" (I've always loved Dean Martin's line: "It's Frank's world; we just live in it") ... and, well, that's as far as I am so far (maybe I need Robert Plant's song "29 Palms," since we'll undoubtedly pass through that dusty town, and which I have to admit is a song I've always found to be irresistible). All to say, or all to ask (besides my earlier question about your travel plans), what would be on your Top 5 list of all-time best driving cds?

3 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

The lyrics are from "In God's Country", from the sound of it...definitely a great album for the trip. I'm bigger on mixes for trips, but a few albums that I might lean on for selections:

Once Again, John Legend
Classic Sinatra, Frank Sinatra
Dosage, Frank Sinatra
Rush of Blood to the Head, Coldplay
Hopes and Fears, Keane
Shaman, Santana
Sheryl Crow, Sheryl Crow
Stand Up, Dave Matthews
Peter, Paul, and Mary:Greatest Hits, Peter, Paul, and Mary
Hotel California, The Eagles
Mothership, Led Zeppelin
Back in Black, AC/DC

And a road mix is not complete without Nat King Cole singing "Route 66" at some point.

Happy travels everyone.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

So yeah, correction time: Dosage is a Collective Soul album...not Frank. Oops.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Ah, yes, some good ones there (and I agree with you about the value of mixes when on the road). "Rush of Blood" is definitely Coldplay's best effort so far -- although the song "Viva la Vida" is four minutes of pop bliss, in my opinion (i.e., it deserved its over-exposure last year, maybe being the best song of the year), I still keep hoping for them to get a bid edgier and more aggressive (their guitarist seems too good, so they shouldn't be holding him back so much). I loved Keane's album for a time, but that one isn't aging as well for me -- tends to be a bit too monotone and angsty after repeated listens.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home