Monday, April 27, 2009

Last Orders Family Tree

Hey.

I've started reading Last Orders, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I did, however, have a lot of trouble keeping track of all of the names and places that get thrown around in the first hundred pages or so. So, I started keeping a kind of family tree on the last page of my book.  And I thought that since I have it anyway, I'd offer it up here.

I'm putting it up in the comments section following this post.  In a lot of ways, I think that figuring out the connections between people is part of the fun of Last Orders, so you may not want to read this right away.  But if you get to page, say, fifty, and you still don't know who's who, (which is about where I was when I started writing things down) it might be worth glancing at.

I think I've managed to avoid almost all major plot spoilers.

(Eric, if this isn't something you want posted, please feel free to take it down - I won't mind ^_^).

Hope it helps!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Last Orders Family Tree:

THE DODDS':
JACK and AMY DODDS are married.
JACK owns a butcher shop that's been in his family for a long time.
They have a daughter named JUNE and a son named VINCE.
VINCE owns a car business. He's in a relationship (possibly married) with a woman named MANDY. They have a daughter named KATH who's involved in her father's car business.

THE JOHNSONS:
RAY and CAROL JOHNSON were married (although they're currently divorced). RAY sells insurance, and is sometimes called LUCKY by his friends.
They have a daughter named SUSIE who's involved with (married to?) a man named ANDY.
CAROL is the daughter of a man named CHARLIE DIXON who used to own a scrap-metal lot. He passed it on to RAY, who sold it to VINCE, who turned it into a car lot.

THE TATES:
LENNY and JOAN TATE are married.
They have a daughter named SALLY, who's also married, although I didn't catch the man's name.

THE TUCKERS:
VIC and PAM TUCKER are married.
VIC owns a funeral home that's been in his family for a while.
They have two sons, DICK and TREV, who are both in the undertaking business with their father.

JACK's GENERATION (which includes LENNY, RAY, VIC and their wives) is in its (their?) late sixties and seventies.

VINCE'S GENERATION (which includes Sally, Susie, June, Dick and Trev) are mostly in their forties and fifties.

JACK, LENNY and RAY all served in the Army in the Middle East during WWII. VIC served in WWII as well, but he was in the Navy.

VINCE also served in the Army in the Middle East, later, although I'm not sure exactly when. (It seems to be sometime in the late fifties or sixties.)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Actually, Sara, I'm very grateful for this! I'll undoubtedly end up relying upon it myself, as I can remember having a very difficult time keeping all of this straight the last time I read the novel, about three years ago.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Mariquita said...

Great! I'll definitely refer to this if I get lost (which I'm pretty sure I'm bound to do ;) )

Thanks for posting this!!

~Hannah Mae

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home