Thursday, April 16, 2009

Michael Jackson, Bhangra and Bollywood

While this has nothing to do with our what we are discussing now, I just couldn't resist sharing. I stumbled across this while wasting time on YouTube and I thought you all might get a bit of a kick out of it.

This clip here, is from 2008's Britain's Got Talent, which is a talent show where the winners end up performing for the Royal Variety Show. These performers, Suleman Mirza and Madhu Singh, are Michael Jackson dance tribute artists. I know, I know, but it gets even better. Their music is also a mish-mash of Bhangra and Bollywood, and they even throw some Eastern-flavored moves in there too. It's pretty entertaining.

If you want to know more about them, look here.

I thought it was particularly interesting because of how much cultural fusion is happening. Imitation of an American musician, thrown together with various Eastern dance and music forms and it's all right there in Britain were they are competing to see who get to perform for the Queen! Wow, that's some serious hybridization.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I saw a story on the news last week about a Scottish housewife who surprised everyone at a British talent show like this with an opera/diva-worthy voice (apparently everyone was laughing at her before she started to sing, and they were all floored by what they heard) ... I wonder if this is the same contest?? Anyway, Tiffani, I'm sure Paul Gilroy, especially, would appreciate your examples of hybrid musical examples!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Tiffani said...

Yeah, it's the same contest. My brother was watching her YouTube video and we saw these guys on the side.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home